Police investigating the fatal coach crash near Looe have confirmed the driver of the coach has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

The 57 year-old man from Exeter has been taken into police custody at Launceston.

The bus was operated by Carmel and police believe it was being used for a trip organised by Age Concern from Exmouth.

Police have also confirmed that both the deceased passengers are women.

UPDATE: A second person has died on arrival at hospital in Plymouth. The first fatality was a woman. Seven other people were taken to hospital by air ambulance. Four others were taken to hospital by land ambulance.

The remainder were treated at the scene for ‘walking wounded’ injuries and will be taken away from the scene imminently.

Derriford Hospital has been "stood down" from its earlier major incident

A spokesman said: "We declared a Major Incident at Derriford Hospital earlier this afternoon, following a collision involving a coach in Looe. We sent doctors to the scene and worked with South West Ambulance Service to respond. We received a small number of casualties in our Emergency Department, less than 10. We would like to say a huge thank you to all our staff who have responded brilliantly, as usual. We would also like to give our sincerest condolences to the families who have lost loved ones in this incident."

UPDATE: There are reports that one person is dead and that 54 people are injured following a coach crash near Looe this afternoon. It has been described by police as a 'major incident'.

Initial reports are that the coach was a party of OAP's from the Devon town of Sidmouth, however this has not been confirmed by police.

The collision has been declared a major incident and numerous emergency services are at the scene dealing with the collision.

Emergency service from across the county and Devon have been called in to help, with air ambulances from both Devon and Cornwall at the scene, alongside police officers, fire crews and land ambulances.

One appliance from Looe Fire Station and an appliance from Liskeard Fire Station plus the Rescue Tender from Bodmin Fire Station attended with crews using crash rescue equipment to remove seats to release casualties.

They also helped paramedics and police on scene. Cornwall Fire and Rescue personnel have now left the scene

One person, a passenger, has died from injuries sustained in the collision. There are no details on the sex or age of this person at this time.

There are known to be a number of other casualties who are also passengers but the severity of their injuries is not known at this time.

Derriford Hospital has tweeted out: "We are receiving the more seriously injured from the collision in Looe; a small number, less than 10 currently".

The coach was carrying around 40 people, all believed to be aged in the 60s and over.

A South West Ambulance Service spokesman said nine people were believed to have "serious injuries".

Five are described as having serious but not life-threatening injuries and 40 are walking wounded, with the walking wounded  "assessed by doctors and ECPs at a nearby village hall".

The spokesman added that so far only one casualty with serious injuries has been taken to Derriford Hospital, Plymouth by an air ambulance."

UPDATE.  Traffic is being signed into looe via the B3359 through Pelynt and out via B3254 through Duloe.  The public are advised to follow the diversion signing.

UPDATE: The A387 is currently closed, as is the B3253 at St Martin’s road due to retaining wall works.  The public should therefore be advised to access Looe via the B3254 through Duloe or the B3359 via Pelynt and West Looe.

Police and other emergency services are dealing with a "serious collision" involving a coach in the Looe area this afternoon.

At around 1pm police officers were called to the A387 at Morval, around three miles from Looe, to reports that a coach had collided with a wall.

The coach had been travelling from the Plymouth direction towards Looe between Sandplace and Widegates when the incident occurred.

Fire and ambulance crews were also called to the scene.

There is no information on the age or number of passengers, or the status of casualties at this time but the road has been closed and is expected to remain so for some time.

Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to please call police on 101 reference 351 130514.