HEARTBROKEN parents Sera and Gareth Hall are struggling to cope after their 41-day-old apparently healthy son died unexpectedly in his sleep.
Mechanic Gareth found Jett’s lifeless body when he checked on the baby in the morning.
Baby Jett had appeared totally healthy the previous night after being put to bed in the family home in Oxford Place, Taunton, and, although post mortem tests have so far proved inconclusive, it is believed he was a victim of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
Sera said: “I just don’t understand how it could have happened.
“He was a perfectly healthy, calm, good baby who slept well and fed well.
“He went to bed, had his bottle and then had another one during the night.
“Gareth went to check on him the next morning and woke me up screaming. I knew by the look on his face that Jett was gone.
“We’re just devastated, in total shock and can’t believe what’s happened.”
The couple – who have four other sons, Sunny, who is four in July, Brody, three next week, Finn, who is two in June and one-year-old River – were given instructions on how to perform CPR after calling 999, but their efforts were to no avail.
“Jett, who was born by elective Caesarean, had a small amount of dark hair and blue eyes and a perfectly rounded head,” said Sera.
“He was absolutely lovely.
“We had a wonderful five weeks and six days with our little angel, spent cuddling, strangers cooing over him, family each taking their turn to show their affection.
“We still don't know why, and possibly never will. What I do know is that I want to make a difference, in his memory, help others like me, teach others of the risks, raise money for my local hospital as well as other children's wards.
“The other children don’t really understand – we’ve told them we borrowed Jett from God for a little while and he needed to go back to him.
“It’s Brody’s birthday next Friday – we don’t feel like celebrating, but we have to do it for him.”
Medics at Musgrove Park Hospital, where Jett was born weighing 7lb 10oz on March 31, were unable to revive him after he was taken in by ambulance on Sunday, May 11.
Sera has set up a website – www.saveababy.co.uk - to raise money for the children’s unit at Musgrove and to increase awareness of SIDS.
“We want to get some equipment in Jett’s name and to help other grieving parents – if we could save one baby’s life, it would give me some peace,” added Sera, who is getting a tattoo with Jett’s name.
Jett’s funeral is at Taunton Deane Crematorium at 1pm on Wednesday, May 28, with arrangements by Taunton Funeral Service.
The Coroner will decide whether or not to hold an inquest once he sees the results of post mortem tests.
*Sudden infant death syndrome, also known as cot death, is the sudden, unexpected and unexplained death of an apparently well baby.
*At least 300 babies die suddenly and unexpectedly in the UK every year.
*Most deaths are during the first six months of a baby’s life.
*Infants born prematurely or with a low birth weight are at greater risk, and SIDS is also more common in boys.
*Most unexpected deaths occur while the child is asleep in their cot at night, but they can occur when a baby is asleep during the day or, occasionally, while they are awake.
*No-one knows exactly what causes SIDS, but it is thought to be the result of a combination of factors, including environmental stresses such as tobacco smoke, getting tangled in bedding, a minor illness or a breathing obstruction.