FIRE crews were sent to Plymouth twice in under 35 minutes to deal with two separate incidents.

The first call came at 7.13pm this evening (Saturday) as the Fire Service were sent to David Southgate Court, Union Street, to deal with a cooker fire.

On arrival, crews confirmed that the fire was out and an ambulance was called to treat an elderly resident who suffered from smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

But that wasn't the end of their required service in Plymouth as the Fire Service then responded to reports that a child was locked in a bathroom.

The second incident, reported at 7.45pm, saw one appliance arrive at Beech Avenue where crews rescued a 10-year-old girl using small tools.