As part of our Care Matters section, we explore issues affecting the world of care.
Here are six care facts - for the latest expert Care Matters, advice, click here.
- The number of people receiving local authority funded care reduced from 958,000 in 2009/10 to 714,000 in 2012/13.
- In 2011, 20% of men over 65 and 31% of women reported that they needed help with daily activities such as washing and dressing.
- From 2015/16 there is a plan to pool NHS and local authority spending into a £3.8bn Integration Transformation Fund. This is not new money – just a combination of spending across the two funding sources.
- There is concern that the protection currently afforded to NHS spending will be lost.
- Under the current system for funding care, one in ten will pay more than £100,000 for care costs.
- By 2035 one in four people in the UK will be over 65.
Source: Nuffield Trust - Briefing on Care Bill