COLDHARBOUR Mill trustee Paul Tucker pictured with the newly acquired replica Bernard Barton spinning wheel from 1766.

Designed by its name sake Bernard Barton, a Quaker from Carlisle, the spinning wheel was designed so that 12 children could work from one machine at the same time, making the process of creating flax yarn much quicker and creating jobs for young workers.

Three men named Ron Harness, Maurice Smith and Robert Fallis built the reproduction in 1983 after reconstructing plans which were thought to have been lost.