FIREFIGHTERS were called out to a house fire in Cheddon Road in Taunton in the early hours.

Crews were called out the scene shortly before 2am this morning (Monday, June 19) after receiving a call reporting smoke in a communal area and smoke alarms sounding in the property.

The call operator gave advice to the caller to get out of the property and raise the alarm to as many other occupants while sending across three fire appliances from Taunton to deal with the incident.

All residents were out of the property by the time the firefighters arrived and the crews quickly got to work to tackle the fire.

The ground floor of the property was smoke logged, but the firefighters managed to put out the fire, which had started in an unattended grill pan.

Police and ambulance also attended and safety inspections were carried out in other dwellings within the property.