Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting COUNTY GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Tiny bats rescued from Taunton airing cupboard as temperatures rise
8:00pm Tuesday 31st July 2012 in Taunton
TWELVE baby bats suffering from overheating were rescued after fleeing from the roof of a house in Taunton.
The tiny pipistrelle bats, just three weeks old, fled their roost during the recent surge in temperatures. They were found in an airing cupboard clinging to wall and inside a curtain.
One died, eight were taken to RSPCA West Hatch wildlife centre for treatment, and four more were found at the same home over the next few days.
Alison Sparkes, RSPCA animal collection officer who rescued the bats, said: “The poor little bats probably thought the roof was cool enough in recent weather, then got a shock this week when it got so hot all of a sudden.
“Luckily for them the home owners left the loft hatch open, so they could make a quick escape when they found it was too much for them.
“When I arrived I could see the tiny animals clinging to the walls and in the cupboard near this hatch, and one was even in the curtain lining.”