Toolstation Western League
Premier Division
Wellington 2, Longwell Green Sports 1

WELLINGTON shrugged off the loss of striker Jack Taylor (who scored twice on his Bridgwater Town debut) by claiming a very valuable win at home to Premier Division basement side Longwell Green Sports.

Saturday's win came courtesy of goals from Sam Towler and Conor Bryant, and put a three-point buffer between themselves and second-bottom Wells City.

Wellington are without a match this weekend, but the next Saturday (October 21) sees them host Downton of the Wessex League in the FA Vase (ko 3pm).


Toolstation Western League
First Division
Bishops Lydeard 2, Cheddar 3

BISHOPS Lydeard hosted Cheddar in front of 264 fans at Cothelstone Road on Sunday, as 'Groundhop Weekend' enjoyed a thrilling finish.

Cheddar were dominant, and they took the lead after seven minutes through Chris Coombs. 

Lydeard keeper Sam Carreau made a series of fine saves to keep his side in the game, and they levelled six minutes before the break when Charlie Wilson's cross was turned home by James Quick via Ben Hebditch.

Hebditch then gave the hosts a surprise lead from with the last play of the half, as Quick's corner found him in space to finish.

The turning point was a missed penalty from Quick, who hit the post from the spot, and just past the hour Adam Jones equalised with a volley.

Ricky Bennett then won it for the visitors with 15 minutes remaining, leaving Lydeard to lick their wounds ahead of tomorrow's match at home to Radstock Town in the Somerset Premier Cup (ko 7.30pm).


Somerset County League
Premier Division
Staplegrove 4, Wells City Reserves 0

STAPLEGROVE won their first game since August, comfortably seeing off visitors Wells City Reserves.

Luke Desave grabbed a brace, with Josh Martin and Sam Mockridge also finding the net, in a 4-0 win.

Grove, who moved off the bottom of the table with the result, host ninth-placed Shirehampton (who are only two points ahead) this Saturday (ko 3pm).


Somerset Senior Cup
Second round
Watchet Town 5, Winscombe 0

WATCHET Town safely progressed to the third round of the Somerset FA Senior Cup, as they beat Winscombe 5-0 at the Memorial Ground.

The Red & Blacks took an early lead when Charley Clausen hooked home a cross from his brother Aerron.

After missing several more chances, they were awarded a penalty for handball, and Jamie Milton drilled in from the spot.

Tom Sparks claimed Watchet's third after the break, and further goals from Chris Sully - converting Aaron Deeks' free-kick - and Sparks again wrapped up a comfortable win.

They will go to Yeovil-based Westland Sports from the Dorset League in the third round on November 4.

This Saturday the Red & Blacks visit Wells City Reserves (ko 3pm).


Somerset County Gazette:

EFFORT: Guy Burns in action for Minehead AFC against Berrow & Highbridge on Saturday. Pic: Steve Richardson

Somerset Senior Cup
Second round
Minehead AFC 3, Berrow & Highbridge 0

THE Blues enjoyed a comfortable passage into the third round, beating opponents from the north of the county who offered little resistance. 

Visiting goalkeeper Steve Bailey was in the thick of the action from the outset, but was finally beaten when Mike Mullen turned the ball home after Stefan Phillips' shot was parried by Bailey.

Guy Burns then scored his 100th Blues goal, with a left-footed effort from the edge of the box that went in off the post.

Phillips finally missed a penalty - after a run of 11 successful spot-kicks - but substitute Sam Bruford finished the job with a powerful shot.

Their reward is an away tie against Chilcompton Sports - riding high in the County Premier Division - on November 4.

Before that, Minehead are away to Mendip Broadwalk in the opening round of the Somerset County League Premier & Division 1 KO Cup on Saturday (ko 3pm).