SOMERSET secured their second straight Championship victory after completing a thrilling 35-run win against Sussex at Hove on Friday.

Sussex started the day needing 180 more to win with six wickets in hand but Charl Willoughby (4-80) led the way as they were dismissed for 313.

That was despite a battling last-wicket stand of 43 between Piyush Chawla (27 not out) and Robin Martin-Jenkins (27).

That gave Somerset a second Championship win of the season following the previous week’s victory against Yorkshire at Headingley.

Somerset batted first after winning the toss on Tuesday and were bowled out for 367 early on the second day. Marcus Trescothick led the way early on with 109 – his second Championship ton of the season – putting on 138 for the first wicket with Arul Suppiah (49).

Zander de Bruyn continued his fine run of form with 50 but, another than that, the middle order failed.

It was left to Pete Trego to help the side post a useful total, hitting an outstanding 92 not out from 112 balls with 12 four and four sixes. He added 69 for the last wicket with Charl Willoughby.

For Sussex leg spinner Chawla picked up 5-118 from 35 overs.

Somerset’s bowlers then took control, dismissing Sussex for just 197 before the end of the second day thanks largely to Alfonso Thomas’s excellent 5-53 from 18 overs – all of his wickets were top six batsmen.

There was also a special moment for young leg spinner, Max Waller, who picked up 2-27 on his first class debut.

However, Somerset let the initiative slip in their second innings as they were skittled out for just 178 in less than 60 overs. Suppiah’s 50 was the top score, while Chawla bagged 6-52 to finish with wonderful match figures of 11-170.

By the end of the third day, the match was in the balance with Sussex reduced to 169-4 with opener Chris Nash unbeaten on a career-best 169-4.

However, Nash was eventually sixth out for 134 as Sussex slipped to 270-9 with Willoughby and Thomas (3-99) doing much of the damage.

And, despite that late rally, it was the Cidermen who were left celebrating a narrow victory.