THIS afternoon sees Taunton Tigers host Bristol Flyers II in the second round of the National Shield knockout competition.

Tip-off is at 4pm at Richard Huish College.

It follows an epic contest away to RCT Gladiators last weekend, with the match going to extra time before the Tigers emerged victorious.


National League
Division 4 South West
RCT Gladiators 85, Taunton Tigers 91

TAUNTON Tigers travelled to Rhonnda, Wales, last Sunday for their second league fixture of the season against RCT Gladiators.

Despite some very odd decisions by the officials, Tigers managed to prevail in an exciting finish that saw the game go into extra time after a shot on the buzzer narrowly missed.

Taunton got their first good start of the season with their outside shooting firing early.

Led by Joe Andrews, who poured in 12 points, they finished with 28 in the quarter against Rhonnda’s 22.

Gladiators played a physical style of defence throughout the game, frustrating Tigers and at times causing them to lose composure.

Tigers were unable to establish themselves close to the basket and Rhonnda took the second quarter 20-16, leaving Taunton with a narrow two-point lead heading into half time.

The home side kept the momentum going into the third quarter, which saw them push Tigers into foul trouble and go to the free throw line six times, and so at the end of the third Taunton trailed 64-62.

The fourth quarter was the most physical of the game, with both teams battling hard for the win.

By this stage Rhonnda’s aggressive play had caught up with them, with two players fouled out, though Tigers had foul trouble of their own.

With just a couple of minutes left to play and with the game in the balance, Gladiators held a five-point lead.

With time running out Taunton were forced to chase the game with pressure defence, which led to crucial turnovers and defensive stops.

Joe Andrews then made back-to-back baskets, to tie the game at 81-81 and force overtime.

In the extra period, Tigers were able to draw the Rhonnda defence out with good shooting, leaving the inside open and allowing them to finally get some easy baskets inside.

They took an early lead and were able to hold on to take the win 91-85.

After the game, head coach Richard Anderson said: "That was a very tough game for us but I’m pleased our players were able to come through when it counted.

"We started and finished well but failed to execute for large parts of the game, making it difficult for ourselves.

"I’m glad to come home with the win though, from an away fixture against a team who narrowly missed out on winning the league last season."

Top scorers for Tigers were Joe Andrews (26), Igors Kuzņecovs (15) and Jack Roberts (14).