Wellington’s second string took another step towards safety in Somerset One with a 26-19 victory over Old Sulians in Bath.

The side was bolstered with a number of players currently out of favour in the firsts with Matt Parsons, Konrad Breese, Simon Bellamy, Lee Wadham and Micky Norman most noticeable.

It was the home side who started the better with an early penalty from fly half Oliver Dicks followed by an unconverted try by fullback Nick Wilks.

Dicks slotted another three-pointer before Wellington began to find their form.

They reduced the gap just after the half hour as they embarked upon a strategy of quick passing and support which was rounded off by Parsons for an unconverted try.

They continued in the same vein with the same result as Breese took off down his wing following good work by Wellington in retrieving a home chip over the defence.

He was finally caught but the experienced Parsons fed the ball inside and eventually Norman broke through the tackles to score.

Simon Cook’s conversion was enough for the visitors to take the lead.

This did not last long however as the excellent Dicks boot sent another penalty over from distance to restore Sulians narrow advantage at the break.

They went further in front with a try in the corner by Matthew Goddard and must have thought they would finish off the visitors but a most unusual injury to Dicks did not help their cause as he skewed another penalty attempt and injured his back in doing so.

Good work by Mike Stanyard and Breese set up a line out from which possession was won and the ever influential Parsons and lock Lee Wadham set up Leigh Cash who scored under the posts.

Replacement back Dan Hinton popped the conversion over to tie the scores.

The incentive of a four try bonus point win spurred the visitors on and despite some stern opposition, which ensured they did not get things all their own way, it gradually became clear who wanted, and needed, the result more.

The pressure built and the score came following a series of rucks and mauls deep in the Old Boys twenty two.

Parsons again posed the question to the home defence and then offloaded the ball which was squeezed out to the lurking Wadham who brushed aside the cover to gleefully dot down.

Parsons put the finishing touch to the score with the conversion and it was job done.

This was an extremely important win for the team but with three teams going down they still need to get at least another result to be certain of retaining their status and with Midsomer Norton winning and Yatton drawing the spectre of relegation still remains a possibility.