FA Cup first qualifying round replay
Taunton Town 1, Tavistock 2

THERE is to be no fabled run to the FA Cup first round proper for Taunton Town this year, as a poor first half cost them their continued involvement in the competition.

Visitors Tavistock were deserved winners thanks to goals from Josh Grant and Luke Brown, as Ross Staley's goal could not save the hosts in this first qualifying round replay at the Viridor Stadium.

Peacocks boss Leigh Robinson brought Matt Villis into the defence, but they were cruelly exposed by the visiting attack - from the very first minute.

Jack Crago - who scored the two goals that gained Tavistock this replay - was a constant menace down the right, and it was a break down that side that saw the hosts concede a penalty for handball.

Josh Grant stepped up and stroked the spot-kick to Lloyd Irish's right and into the corner for a first-minute lead.

The response from Town was good, in that it saw Pierce Mitchell fire narrowly over and Ryan Brett draw a save from Josh Oak, but the game soon settled into a familiar pattern.

The Peacocks had most of the ball and the game was largely played in the visitors' half, but while the home side huffed and puffed to little avail, Tavistock looked menacing on the counter-attack.

And Taunton appeared to ignore the warning signs, as a simple clearance put Luke Brown through down the middle, and he calmly slotted past Irish to make it 2-0 on 24 minutes.

Robinson introduced Staley for Arran Pugh, but that attacking change made little positive impact, as the game became increasingly scrappy and bad-tempered, which of course suited the away side.

There were no chances of note for the remainder of the first half, as Tavistock went into the break with a healthy advantage.

A big second half was needed from the hosts, and they threw everything forward - leaving themselves even more vulnerable to the counter-punch.

But initially it paid off, as they equalised on 55 minutes.

Brett's cross hit the bar, and a few moments after that it was 2-1, as the ball fell for Staley inside the area to smash in an unstoppable half-volley.

Matt Wright headed over from another Brett cross, before the Peacocks survived a scare at the other end - Ben Cross' shot being deflected onto the post, rolling across the goal-line and away.

Tavistock couldn't finish the game off, no matter how much space they were afforded to break into, and Owen Irish had a chance for Town - but his downward header from a tight angle was straight at the keeper.

To be fair to Taunton, they threw everything they had at the opposition goal to try and get an equaliser, but the away side were equal to everything tossed into the mixer, and they held on through to the final whistle.

So it's Tavistock who advance to a second qualifying round tie with Frome Town, while the Peacocks can focus on their league promotion bid - starting away to Kidlington on Saturday (ko 3pm).

Taunton Town: Lloyd Irish, Pierce Mitchell (Lewis Powell), Ryan Brett, Matt Villis (Owen Irish), Arran Pugh (Ross Staley), Ben Adelsbury, Shane White, Brett Trowbridge, Matt Wright (c), Olly Mehew, Ollie Chamberlain. 
Subs not used: Les Afful, Ben Palmer.