Two women have been treated for smoke inhalation yesterday following a fire in a stable block in a village near Wellington.

A member of the public called Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service at 5.36pm on Wednesday, August 5 and reported that a block of stables in Nicholashayne was on fire.

Two fire appliances from Wellington and a water carrier from Danes Castle were immediately mobilised by Fire Control.

Read next: Dog is abseiled to safety after being trapped 60 metres up for three days

On arrival, crews discovered that some large bales of hay were on fire in the stable block.

While they extinguished the fire using hose reels and drag forks, an ambulance was called to treat the two women found suffering from smoke inhalation.

The fire damage was contained to the bales of hay only.