Vet practices are looking for farmers to carry out cattle TB testing.

These job opportunities are being publicised following approval by the Animal & Plant Health Agency (APHA) last November to allow para-professional staff to carry out TB testing in England following appropriate training to become an ‘Approved Tuberculin Tester (ATT)’.

James Allcock from UK Farmcare, a company that helps to manage government TB testing, said: “ATTs may be employed and equipped by a veterinary practice and paid a salary or wages as part of a vet practice team.

"Alternatively, ATTs may also choose to access the training and then deliver the service as a self-employed person. In this situation they must always liaise closely with the farmer’s regular vet."

Anyone interested in becoming an ATT must be at least 18 years old, hold a valid UK driving licence and passport, possess a clean criminal record and then be approved by the APHA.

“There are also certain minimum educational requirements (at least three graded GCSEs or equivalent in English, Maths and a science or food production subject).

"Applicants also need to be able to demonstrate at least six months cattle handling experience,” James added.

Following a successful ‘Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)’ check, applicants must find a veterinary practice to provide the direct supervision they need during the practical phase of the training.

“UK Farmcare can provide support with this if candidates don’t currently have contact with a suitable livestock veterinary practice in their local area of England. The next step is to access the online training course and then pass a test that assesses understanding,” said Mr Allcock.

Veterinary practices sponsoring ATT applicants must already provide TB testing services for both beef and dairy cattle – and have enough TB testing vets available to allow one to be able to supervise training on a one-to-one basis for a few weeks.

Candidates keen to explore this interesting new job opportunity can either contact their local veterinary practice or register their interest on the UK Farmcare website at