A HERO toddler sprang into action when his mum was knocked unconscious after falling down a flight of stairs.

Ambulance chiefs labelled little Toby Thomas, aged 2, “amazing” after he raised the alarm to help his mum, Danielle.

She tripped and fell while carrying a basket of washing at home in Williton.

Danielle, a single mother, believes that she was out cold for around 30 to 40 minutes and that she had hit her head on the way down, causing blood to seep out of her ear.

Toby managed to unlock the front door using the key that was in the lock and ran outside to call for help.

“I don’t remember falling, I just remember waking up to Toby calling for help outside the house,” said Danielle.

“He was calling ‘Help! Mummy’s bleeding’. I managed to call him back and I told him to get mummy’s phone.”

Danielle dialled 999 and Toby put the phone on speaker so that she could let the emergency services know what had happened and their address.

She said: “I was dipping in and out of consciousness and Toby took my phone and he kept telling them that ‘You need to help Mummy, she’s bleeding.’”

Two members of Williton First Response Team arrived before the ambulance service and had been told that someone would be there to open the door for them.

Garry Austin-Thomas, Watch Manager for Williton Fire Service and volunteer for Williton First Response Team, said: “Toby let us in and he told us that ‘mummy was bleeding’. We had no idea that a two-year-old would be the one to open the door to us.

“We found Danielle at the bottom of the stairs in front of the door, so by Toby opening the door it certainly made it much safer for us and Danielle – there was no need to smash the glass.

“He was concerned for his mother but also really interested in what we were doing and what we were getting out of our bag.

“Had he been crying and scared we would not have been able to do the job in the way that we did because we would have been dealing with him too.

“He is a really clever boy.” 

Danielle was taken to Musgrove Hospital in Taunton where she was treated for a broken ankle. “I’ve never taught him how to deal with those situations because he’s too young, he wouldn’t understand.

“He was calling the paramedics ‘doctors’ so he is aware of who the emergency services are and he must have known it was serious. I’m so proud of him.”

Andy Perris, who is head of clinical hubs for South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust, said: “It is amazing that a two-year-old can get help for a family member in the way that this little boy did.

“It is vital that all children know what to do in an emergency and we would encourage all parents to teach their children the importance of knowing when to dial 999.”