The last decade has not been kind to traditional pubs with a huge number closing across the UK. But how many Taunton pubs are now nothing more than a boozy memory.

Website has been logging the closures watering holes and we've some pubs you might just remember...

Do you remember a quick half in the Naval & Military Inn or an evening in the Light Bob. Let us know. Contact or @CountyGazette.

Have a look at our picture gallery below.

Somerset County Gazette:

The Denmark Inn was situated on Cheddon Road.

Somerset County Gazette:

The Naval & Military Inn was situated at 14 East Reach. This pub closed in 2010.

Somerset County Gazette:

The Tudor Tavern was situated at 15 Fore Street. This pub is now used as a coffee shop.

This building in the 16c housed the Trowbridge Clothiers, mercers and merchant taylor (Thomas and Joan Trowbridge were responsible for the initials TT and IT and the date 1578 on the building facade). In the 17c the building became the grocery business of Thomas Baker - his daughters were the 'maids of Taunton' who welcomed the Duke of Monmouth into the town. In the 19c it was the grocery business of Richard Turle 1777-1863, my 3x-great-grandfather - he was also described as salt and tea dealer, tallow chandler and soap boiler. His son John Turle 1813-1891 continued the business, followed in turn by his son Richard Turle 1843-1912, who in the 1870s moved to Beckenham in Kent where he became a wine merchant. After that, the building was used by an antique dealer, Halliday & Son. (with thanks to Helen Lloyd, October 2014)

Somerset County Gazette:

The Railway Inn was situated on Station Road. This pub closed .c.2000 and is now used as a Chinese restaurant.

Somerset County Gazette:

The Harp was situated on Shoreditch Road.  This pub has now been demolished and replaced with the private housing in the above photo. The estate is called Harp Chase.



Somerset County Gazette:

The Alma Inn was situated on Silver Street. This pub closed in 2010. Now demolished and replaced by flats.  

Somerset County Gazette:

The Telegraph Inn was situated at 58 Bridge Street. This pub is now used as an antiques shop.

Somerset County Gazette:

The Wheeltappers & Shunters Inn was situated on Station Road. This pub closed in the late 1990s.

Somerset County Gazette:

The Wood Street Inn was situated on Wood Street.  This pub is now in private residential use.

Somerset County Gazette:

Yates's was situated at 54-56 High Street. 


Do you have memories of any of the pubs from Taunton's past. We are looking for information about the

Rising Sun, East Reach. 

Royal Marine, East Reach. 

Sportsman, Station Road. 

Swan Inn, East Street

Turks Head, James Street

The Pheonix, East Reach

Light Bob, High Street. 

Masons Arms, Magdalene Street. 

Myrtle Tree, Bridge Street.

Dove Inn Mary Street. Present by 1881. 

Eight Bells, High Street. 

Foresters Arms, East Reach. 

Four Alls, Corporation Street. 

Full Moon Inn, South Street. 

George, High Street.