Somerset Premier
Tor 20, Wiveliscombe 36

ALTHOUGH not at their best over the 80 minutes, Wivey still proved too strong for a Tor side that at times gave the visitors plenty to think about, writes Roger Bellamy.

Wivey’s scrum was the only part of their game that functioned well, as the home team disrupted most remaining areas of the visitors’ game and also looked dangerous on the counter attack.

The first half was closely contested and Wivey took a while to settle after Tor scored straight from the kick off following the visitors’ failure to catch the ball allowing Jack Malone to finish after Tor pounced on the loose ball. 

The hosts missed the conversion and Wiveliscombe took the lead when scrum-half Hugh Kelly finished off good approach work by his pack to squeeze over. 

Full-back Dan Quick converted for a 7-5 advantage.

The visitors second try was an identical score with Kelly again touching down for the five points and Quick adding the extras. 

Tor closed the gap to 14-12 after Aaron Marshfield ran from the back of a scrum to force his way over the line and Dan Berkley converted. 

Wivey’s third try came from a trademark run from powerful forward Ali Vivian, who brushed aside several defenders to score and ensure the visitors took a 19-12 lead into the break.

Winger Richard Wike scored the visitors’ bonus point try early in the second half after showing good pace on the left wing, but Tor’s backs gave a good account of themselves throughout the match and looked dangerous on several occasions. 

They scored their third and final try through Dan Berkley, who was on hand to touch down after Wivey’s defence was breached. 

Wiveliscombe continued to struggle with Tor’s tenacity at the breakdown and gave away a penalty which Berkley duly converted to close the gap to 24-20. 

Tor were forced to make changes to their line up in last quarter and their efforts throughout the game started to take their toll as Wivey finished on top, scoring another 12 points.

Prop Matt Ellis proved too strong for a tiring defence as did Ali Vivian, crossing for his second try of the game. 

Quick converted Vivian's try to give the visitors a 36-20 bonus point victory.

Wiveliscombe move to top position in the Somerset Premier League after Gordano surprisingly lost 32-0 at Old Redcliffians. 

This Saturday’s home game against Avon, who have a game in hand, will probably decide the promotion or play-off hopes of the West Somerset team.

Somerset Two South
Wiveliscombe 2nd XV 15, Wells 2nd XV 11

Wiveliscombe 2nds secured their tenth victory of the season after this entertaining game at Plain Pond. 

Both teams looked to play open rugby which made it enjoyable for both players and spectators.

The home team scored two tries through Dan Clarke and captain John Palk, with Hugh Harris converting one of the tries and slotting a penalty.

This weekend, the 2nds host Tor 2nds.

Cornwall & Devon
Wellington 27, Withycombe 3

WELLINGTON welcomed Withycombe to the Athletic Ground last Saturday for what turned out to be a character-building and dogged victory that sent them top of the league standings, writes Allyn Chetland

Ben Gamlin was a late withdrawal due to illness, meaning Chris Batts returned to the starting XV and Tim Jenkinson took a place on the bench.

The first five minutes was an action-packed period, as the Red & Blacks missed an early opportunity, and Withycombe replied with an excellent attack, thwarted by a superb covering tackle from winger Tyler Hart. 

A fine break involving Liam Phillips and Corey Jenkinson was halted by an off-the-ball incident, the result being that the hosts' Martin Walker was shown a straight red card for retaliating to a piece of foul play, with barely seven minutes played. 

The R&Bs took a little time to adjust to losing a player, conceding a penalty which Withycombe slotted between the posts, but once they did settle down the home side went onto dominate the reminder of the half. 

No 8 Chris Kitto scored a pushover try, which full-back Alex Davey duly converted, then winger Nev Pitman scored an unconverted try in front of the club house after superb work by Cam Venn. 

Further pressure resulted in a penalty in front of Withycombe’s posts, which Davey coolly slotted to give Wellington a 15-3 lead going into the half-time break.

The R&Bs once again had the ascendancy upon the restart, and to all watching it would have looked like they had the numerical advantage. 

Early pressure by the pack saw hooker Joe Dyke smash his way over for a try, with Davey adding the extra points for a 22-3 lead. 

Desperate defence by the visitors kept them out for a while, but the try bonus point came from Pitman, whose second try of the game rounded off a superb team attack, and although the conversion hit the woodwork the final whistle brought a comfortable 27-3 win for the home side.

It was a fine team display, but second row Venn caught the eye and praise in the clubhouse afterwards. 

It was pleasing to see all the hard work put in at training over the last few weeks, both technically and fitness-wise, being put into practice. 

Apart from the first attack of the half, Withycombe rarely threatened the R&Bs' try-line, which again shows the determination on display from the hosts – there were some very tired bodies in the changing room after the match.

This coming Saturday, Wellington travel to Plymstock Albion Oaks. 

The Oaks are currently sitting in mid-table but have had some good results of late, putting up a spirited display away to Saltash, so confidence will be high for the Devon side.

The R&Bs will look to continue their winning league form, but the Oaks will want to put a spanner in the works as the season goes into the final quarter. 

Wellington: R. Marke, J. Dyke, L. Wadham, M. Walker, C. Venn, L. Phillips, D. Lee, C. Kitto, T. Jenkinson, P. Jarman (c), N. Pitman, G. Hodgson, C. Batts, T. Hart, A. Davey, J. Hancock, T. Jenkinson, W. Hinchcliffe.