A WOMAN was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in her flat in Chilliswood Crescent in Taunton last night.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 9pm last night (Friday, May 11) after reports of smoke issuing from the window of the flat.

Upon arrival crews gained entry to the building and rescued one female occupant who was still in the flat.

She was taken to hospital by ambulance to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The source of the fire turned out to be unattended food on the cooker.

Crews managed to extinguish the fire and then ventilated the flat before returning to their home stations at 10pm.