THE jury has been sent to deliberate its verdict following the trial of a man accused of trying to kill 96-year-old D Day veteran Jim Booth.

Joseph Isaacs, 40, of no fixed address, denies attempting to murder Mr Booth at his bungalow in Gipsy Lane, Taunton, but has already pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm, aggravated burglary and seven counts of fraud.

Isaacs appeared at Taunton Crown Court via video link from HMP Long Lartin.

This morning, (Thursday, May 24) the jury heard the closing statements from the defence and prosecution barristers, and this afternoon Judge David Ticehurst summed up the evidence for the jury.

After just over an hour of deliberations, the jury was sent home for the day and asked to return again tomorrow (Friday, May 25) to continue their discussions and reach a verdict.

During his summary Judge David Ticehurst said: "There is no doubt Mr Booth was subjected to a vicious attack with a claw hammer by Joseph Isaacs on the afternoon of November 22 last year.

"He has pleaded guilty to charges of aggravated burglary, GBH and fraud, but he denies that he attempted to kill Mr Booth. 

"What you as a jury have to decide is whether Joseph Isaacs intended to kill Mr Booth in that attack."

Judge Ticehurst proceeded to sum up all the evidence the jury had heard over the previous four days.

This included the forensic evidence given detailing the severity of the injuries suffered by Mr Booth.

READ MORE: Family of war hero injured in hammer attack were 'prepared for the worst', court hears

Judge Ticehurst explained how Martin Horton, a consultant advanced clinical practitioner in emergency medicine at Musgrove Park Hospital, had described having 'grave concerns' over Mr Booth's injuries.

Mr Booth suffered significant depression suggesting very likely fractures to the skull, as well as bruising around Mr Booth's eye socket and to his right hand and arm and harm.

"Mr Horton explained to you how he felt Mr Booth was a frail gentleman who suffered significant injuries, with a brain injury and significant skull depressions, and had he picked up an infection it could have proved fatal," Judge Ticehurst said.

He also talked through Mr Booth's video interview with the police in which he described the attack.

READ MORE: Jim Booth tells court of terrifying hammer attack in his home

In his testimony Mr Booth said Joseph Isaacs came to his door and originally pretended to be a builder and offered to fix some roof tiles.

After Mr Booth refused the offer, he said Isaacs attacked him with the claw hammer shouting 'money, money, money, I want money'.

Mr Booth testified that he remembered lying down thinking 'Oh my God, I'm dying'.

Judge Ticehurst also summarised Mr Isaacs evidence in which Isaacs said he was living rough in his car, had not eaten for three or four days prior to the incident and was having a 'nervous breakdown'.

Judge Ticehurst said: "Joseph Isaacs insisted his only intention when approaching the house was to get money to die him over.

"He said he had never hurt anyone and that it was not his intention to kill Jim Booth.

"He also denied that he made up evidence that Jim Booth was conscious on his feet when Isaacs left the property."