FAMILY members of D-Day veteran Jim Booth wept as a jury convicted the man who tried to kill him.

Joseph Isaacs will be sentenced this afternoon for the attempted murder of Mr Booth, 96, after carrying out a “prolonged and barbaric”.

Judge David Ticehurst told jury members to wipe the “disturbing” details of the case from their minds after delivering a unanimous guilty verdict.

And as the jury left the court, a family member said from the public gallery: “He (Isaacs) is out of our lives – thank you.”

RELATED: 'I shouldn't have been in Taunton': How the horrific assault unfolded

Isaacs visited Mr Booth’s home in Gipsy Lane, Taunton, on Wednesday, November 22, and offered to repair a roof tile for a good price.

But when Mr Booth told him the tile was being taken care of, Isaacs following him into his house and viciously attacked him with a claw hammer.

Following the attack, a blood-splattered Mr Booth, who is unsure whether he lost consciousness, made his way to a neighbour’s house where police were called.

He was rushed to hospital with significant head injuries, including a significant skull depression.

Somerset County Gazette:

Joseph Isaacs

Forensic pathologist Dr Russell Delaney said the injuries were “in keeping with the circular part of a claw hammer” and would have “required severe force.”

Judge David Ticehurst said to the jury: “Thank you for your anticipation during this trial.

“Without the willingness of members of the public coming to court and participating and considering matters in the way in which you have, the justice system simply would not work.

“It has not been a pleasant case and some of the images and facts have been disturbing – put them out of your mind.”

Somerset County Gazette:

Jim Booth

Isaacs, 40, of no fixed abode, but formerly of Exeter, in Devon, had previously admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent, aggravated burglary and seven counts of fraud, relating to the use of Mr Booth’s bank card, including at a fast-food restaurant just a few hours after the attack.

Mr Booth, 96, who was involved in a secret operation during the D-Day landings in Normandy, was left with life-threatening injuries to his head and body.

DCI James Riccio, who led the investigation, said: “Joseph Isaacs called at Jim Booth’s home posing as a workman.

“When Mr Booth declined the work being offered, Isaacs forced his way in, demanded money and subjected Mr Booth to a prolonged and barbaric ordeal.

RELATED: Joseph Isaacs GUILTY of attempting to murder D-Day veteran Jim Booth in Taunton

“He used a claw hammer to strike Mr Booth repeatedly to the head and body – even hitting him multiple times while he lay on the floor.

“It was a cowardly act and it’s a miracle Mr Booth survived these horrific injuries.”

The Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT) launched a full inquiry and discovered Mr Booth’s bank card had been used at a number of shops in Bridgwater and Burnham-on-Sea in the 48-hour period following the assault.

CCTV footage was obtained and the offender was linked to a Vauxhall Zafira caught on CCTV outside Asda in Bridgwater – one of the locations where Mr Booth’s card was fraudulently used.

Somerset County Gazette:

A police cordon outside Jim Booth's home following the attack

DCI Riccio added: “As a result of these enquiries, officers stopped a Vauxhall Zafira on the A370 at Congresbury on the morning of Friday 24 November and arrested the driver, Joseph Isaacs.

“Isaacs’ clothing was seized and we were able to find traces of Mr Booth’s blood on his jeans. A cheque belonging to Mr Booth was also found in the footwell of the Zafira.

“Although he declined to comment in interview, Joseph Isaacs was left with little alternative but to admit he carried out the attack on Mr Booth.

“This has been an emotive case which has affected everyone who’s worked on it.

“Mr Booth has showed immense strength of character and spirit to survive the injuries he suffered and while he may never fully recover, he has a close network of family and friends to support him.

“I’d like to thank everyone who’s worked on this inquiry to achieve this successful prosecution and our thoughts and best wishes are very much with Mr Booth and his family.

“Their support of our investigation has been unwavering and I hope this outcome will help them move on from this awful experience.”