A BED has caught fire in the early hours of this morning, causing fire crews to rush to the scene in West Somerset.

The incident was reported at around 3.50am today (June 12) in Meadow Close, Wheddon Cross.

Fire crews were sent to the scene from Minehead and Porlock.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "On arrival, crews confirmed a fire within a first floor bedroom involving a mattress and bedding.

"Crews got to work to extinguish the fire using two breathing apparatus, one attack jet and a thermal imaging camera.

"Four occupants suffered from smoke inhalation.

"The fire caused severe fire and smoke damage to the bedroom and smoke damage to the first floor."

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.