KATE Hodson has written a book charting the lives and deaths of men killed in the war who had attended Wellington School where she is an English teacher.

My Dear Old Boys: Remembering George Corner and the fallen of Wellington School, 1914-1918 helps remember them as individuals.

A fitting memorial to the men was established by Corner, the headmaster at the time, who spent 12 years finding funds for and then building the school chapel.

There is a website - mydearoldboys.com - with a link for anyone who wishes to buy the book.

Here are the stories of some of the 'old boys' killed in the conflict.

*2nd Lieut Edward Franklin Corner was headmaster George Corner's nephew who studied at Wellington School until 1914, proving himself an able academic and sportsman.

An excellent signaller, he was reported missing on September 26, 1915, during the Battle of Loos.

His family had to wait months before they discovered Teddy's fate - a shell had exploded feet from his machine gun post and he died instantly.

In June 1916 an account was found in the War Dragon, reporting: "Young Corner, one of our machine gun officers, a boy of about nineteen, was leading a platoon not far from me, looking deadly serious, with his revolver held well out in front of him and a man carrying the machine gun alongside him.

"I shouted out some ribald remark, to which he responded with a laugh and a wave of his revolver over his head. Poor boy, he never returned from that adventure, and died with his machine guns, of which he was so proud."

In honour of his nephew, George Corner created Sanctuary Wood in the school grounds to commemorate the place where it is believed Edward fell.

*2nd Lieut Silvanus Wilfred Baker, who lived in Waterloo Road, Wellington, was was an exceptional linguist and sportsman.

He was promoted within the Officers Training Corps and received a commission in the Somerset Light Infantry while still at school, which he left early to join the Somersets.

He was sent to France in September 1915 and had barely been there two weeks when he saw action in the Battle of Loos.

Leading his platoon, he was hit by a shrapnel shell and killed instantly on September 25, aged 18.

*Popular Pte Herbert Thomas Manley lived in High Path, Wellington, joined the Public Schools Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers Oxford in 1916 and was sent to France, where he transferred to the (Queen’s) West Surrey Regiment, 1st Battalion.

He was wounded and sent home to recover but was back to the frontline in July 1917.

He was killed by a shell on the on September 24, the first day of the Battle of the Menin Road Ridge, aged 22. He has no known grave but is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

During his time in France, he saw two soldiers drowning and bravely jumped in the water to pull them out, although they both died.

His commanding officer was set to recommend him for the Distinguished Conduct Medal, but Herbert did not live to receive that recognition.

*Sgt Percy Alfred Clode, an accountant with Albert Goodman, in Taunton, held Wellington School in great affection and often returned to sing and play cricket.

He enlisted on August 9, 1916, as a gunner for the 244 Siege Battery, arriving in France on January 30, 1917, when he was battery accountant.

He was killed while rescuing a wounded comrade on July 21, 1917, aged 28, leaving a widow who never remarried and a one-year-old son, who both lived in Taunton until their deaths.

*Pte William John Crofton Brown was born in Wellington and studied at Wellington School from 1904-11, where he excelled at music, later teaching the subject at Muswell Hill.

He signed up for the 1/5 London Rifles in late 1915, arriving in France on July 14, 1916, two weeks into the Battle of the Somme.

Between October 7 and 9, Brown’s regiment reinforced the 168th Infantry Brigade in the Battle of Transloy Ridges, which is where he probably met his death, aged 24.

He was listed as missing alongside more than 72,000 others and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Every year at Wellington School, the Crofton Brown Music Prize is awarded.

*Teacher Pte Alfred Harold William Palfery was born in Wellington in 1892, the year before his father died.

He enlisted in the 8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment in 1915 but his first trip to France was cut short by serious illness.

He returned to France in June 1917, where he saw plenty of action, including at Passchendaele.

He was killed by a sniper’s bullet on April 15, 1918, as he and his section were rushing a house.

One of the last to survive, he was about to speak to his comrade when shot down and died instantly, aged 26.