A FIRE in a Taunton home this afternoon (Saturday) was caused by an iron, a fire service spokesman says.

Crews were called to the incident in a first floor bedroom in Larkspur Close at around 4pm.

There was no-one in the rented semi-detached property when firefighters arrived and successfully tackled the blaze.

The bedroom was 60 per cent fire damaged and the first floor was 80 per cent damaged by smoke.

There was also smoke logging damage to the loft space in the adjoining house.

The fire started accidentally.