CREWS were called to tackle a fire at a sheltered housing complex on Sunday night.

The incident, at the sheltered accommodation in North Parade, Frome, at just after 7pm and two crews were scrambled to the scene.

"Two fire appliances from Frome were mobilised following a call from a care line, who monitor sheltered accommodation, reporting a fire in a flat where a plastic kettle had been left on an electric cooker hob and, as a result, the flat was heavily smoke logged," said a spokesperon for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue.

"At the time of call it was confirmed that the building had been evacuated."

Crews discovered the fire on the top floor of the three-storey property, the spokesperson added, block, and was quickly dealt with.

A member of staff required an ambulance for smoke inhalation and the property was evacuated.