SIX people were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after a tumble dryer fire.

The incident unfolded at a property in Wiveliscombe at around 1.30am this morning (November 19).

"Fire engines from Wiveliscombe, Wellington, and Bridgwater were quickly mobilised to the scene, along with the ariel ladder platform from Bridgwater," said a Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson.

"Crews confirmed a fire in the laundry room and the Incident Command Unit from Wiveliscombe was mobilised for additional crew.

"The crews swiftly got to work to extinguish the fire."

Ambulance crews were also called to the scene, the spokesperson said.

"The laundry room of the building was 100 per cent damaged by heat and smoke and six people were treated on scene for smoke inhalation," they added.

"The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental."