THREE fire crews rushed to a home in Taunton after reports of smoke inside two people still trapped.

Fire engines from Taunton, Bridgwater and Wellington rushed to a property in Fremantle Road.

They attended the scene at shortly after 1pm on Saturday (February 15).

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "On arrival the crews confirmed that this was a microwave involved in fire which they immediately removed to open air.

"Two people were still inside the property unable to walk themselves out.

"The two occupants were assessed by an on scene ambulance for possible smoke inhalation.

"The microwave obtained fire damage but fortunately there was only mild smoke damage to the kitchen itself.

"Crews naturally ventilated the property and left the occupants in the hands of ambulance staff."

More than half of accidental fires in the home are started by cooking.

The fire service has four tips for avoiding fire when microwave cooking.

They are:

  • Never put anything metal in the microwave
  • Never attempt to sterilise dish cloths or sponges by heating them in the microwave
  • Ensure the turntable is working
  • Never leave your microwave unattended when in use

A spokesman added: "Check regularly that the ventilation in your kitchen, like range hoods or fans, is working properly and is not blocked up.

"This is especially important if you have a gas cooker in case any leaking gas builds up.

"You could consider keeping a fire blanket in the kitchen. Fire blankets can be used to put out a fire or wrap a person whose clothes are on fire."