A HOUSEHOLDER accidentally sparked a gas alert after mixing two cleaning products together.

Firefighters rushed to the scene following a 'hazmat' - (hazardous materials) - call at 9.50pm yesterday (Wednesday).

The man in the property in Rosewood Avenue, Burnham-on-Sea, reported he was suffering breathing difficulties.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Two fire appliances from Burnham-on-Sea attended a property where the occupant had mixed two cleaning products which had given off gas.

"The male occupant was suffering from breathing difficulties.

"Ambulance attended and conveyed the casualty to hospital. Crews ventilated the property and made it safe."