A WOMAN trapped in a blazing house was rescued by firefighters in the early hours of this morning (Friday).

Phone operators from fire control gave the woman fire survival advice as fire crews put a ladder up to the first floor to carry the casualty to safety.

Fire crews and an ambulance were sent to the incident involving a fire on the ground floor of the building in Cavalier Way, Yeovil, shortly before 1am.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Fire control gave fire survival advice to the casualty, who had inhaled some smoke, whilst firefighters put a ladder up to the first floor and gained entry to the building.

"The female was rescued via the ladder and crews administered oxygen therapy until the arrival of paramedics.

"One dog was also rescued from the property."