A FIRE in a small fridge in a motorhome was tackled by firefighters this morning (September 21).

Crews from Shepton Mallet, Castle Cary and Glastonbury were called to the incident, in Shepton Mallet, at 9.15am.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue were concerned about the fire reaching gas cylinders.

A spokesperson said: “At the time of call concern was raised due to the possible risk and involvement of gas cylinders and confirmed the occupants were able to evacuate safely.

“However, shortly after arrival of the first crew from Shepton Mallet they were able to confirm the fire was contained to the rear of a small fridge inside and extinguished it using one hose reel jet, before damping down the area whilst checking for hotspots using a thermal imaging camera.”

The fire was under control by 9.57am.

“As crews were able to locate and extinguish the fire so quickly the third appliance from Glastonbury was returned en route as their services were no longer required,” added the spokesperson.

“Damage was minimal and confined to the fridge only, and once the area was made safe, duty of care was left with the owner.”