THE M5 is closed northbound from junction 27 (Tiverton) to 26 (Wellington) after a person dies following a "concern for welfare" call to the police. 

Traffic is stationary due to the "serious incident" on the northbound side of the motorway.

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Police were called at 12.25pm today to the M5 at Cullompton following concern for the welfare of a person in the northbound carriageway.

"A person was located in the road having sustained serious injuries and has since been confirmed deceased at the scene.

"The road was initially closed in both directions but lanes one and two of the southbound carriageway have since been reopened.

"Drivers northbound are asked to avoid the area and use alternative routes where possible as the road is expected to remain closed for a considerable amount of time.

"Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting log 313 of 28 September.”

Highways England expect the northbound section of the motorway to be closed this afternoon and drivers are being advised to avoid the area. 

A spokesperson said: “Drivers planning to travel on the M5 this afternoon are being warned to expect severe delays as the road is closed northbound between junctions 27 (Barnstaple/Tiverton) and junction 26 (Wellington) following a serious incident.

"The northbound carriageway is expected to be closed for some time, possibly into the afternoon peak, while Devon and Cornwall Police carry out their investigations, and drivers are advised to avoid the area if possible and consider finding alternative routes.

"All northbound and southbound lanes were closed from 12.30pm, with southbound traffic being diverted from junction 26.

"The southbound carriageway is being reopened imminently with a lane three closure in place past the scene, and drivers are advised to be aware of residual delays.

"Northbound traffic is being diverted via the A38 from junction 27, to rejoin the motorway at junction 26 and an operation to release blocked northbound traffic will add to initial delays."

A spokesperson for South Western Ambulance Service said: “South Western Ambulance Service responded to a call received on Monday at 12.25pm about an incident on the M5 northbound in the area of junction 27.

“We sent land crews and specialist paramedics to attend the incident.”