FIRE crews extinguished a fire in a fuse box that was "smoking" and "popping" in Williton.

Two engines from Williton Fire Station attended the incident on Dovetons Drive at around 9pm yesterday (April 1).

The fuse box was damaged during the incident, which has been confirmed as accidental.

"On arrival crews confirmed this appeared to be a small fire contained to the fuse box and set to work with two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, a CO2 extinguisher and a thermal imaging camera," a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said.

"Crews were able to isolate the electrics coming into the property but also requested the attendance of Western Power to check the fuse properly."