CREWS extinguished a chimney fire after a call from occupants who had noticed a problem yesterday evening (April 3).

Firefighters from Castle Cary worked from the hearth of an open fire to extinguish the blaze.

The incident happened in a property in Batcombe, near Shepton Mallet, at around 8.40pm.

"The fire was well alight, in the flue of the chimney," said a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fie and Rescue.

"Our crew soon had it under control and confirmed at 9.37pm that was fire was extinguished using chimney gear and the area made safe.

"Some fire safety advice was also given to the occupants before leaving the scene.

"The fire was contained to the flue with no serious damage or fire spread to the room or remainder of the property."