FIREFIGHTERS evacuated most of the residents from a care home during a fire in Minehead this afternoon (Thursday).

But some residents who were unable to leave the premises in Manor Road, Alcombe, due to ill health had to be "ensured of their safety" by firefighters.

On arrival at the scene shortly after 2pm, the Minehead fire crew were greeted by smoking issuing from the third floor.

Further fire engines were sent from Minehead, Williton, Dulverton, Lynton and the hydraulic platform from Bridgwater.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "Crews investigated the cause of the smoke, which was believed to be coming from the chimney or concealed behind a wall.

"Thermal imaging cameras and chimney gear was used to access and extinguish the fire, which was between the flue and the chimney stack.

"Fire damage was confined to the chimney, and the top floor sustained minor smoke damage.

"The cause was accidental. Crews left duty of care with staff, but will reinspect the building for safety this evening."