A DECISION on whether to grant a license for two days of concerts at the site of the Glastonbury Festival is expected in the next few days.

In March, it was revealed festival organisers had submitted plans to hold two days of concerts in September, which would see up to 50,000 people descend on the event's Worthy Farm home each day, with bands believed to perform on the legendary Pyramid Stage.

The scheme, which would see no camping allowed at the site, was considered by Mendip District Council's Licensing Committee last week.

However, after seven hours of debate on Wednesday (May 13) and more on Thursday morning, councillors did not arrive at a decision.

The committee has five days to come to a decision, meaning a verdict is expected by Wednesday (May 19).

READ MORE: Glastonbury Festival organisers unveil plans for campsite and concerts THIS YEAR
READ MORE: Glastonbury Festival news

During the meeting, they heard a number of objections from residents, who fear problems over noise, traffic and the coronavirus.

A representative of GFEL (Glastonbury Festival Events Limited) defended the plans, saying all necessary precautions would be taken to conform with government guidelines.

Should the committee refuse permission, event organisers then have the right to appeal.

A Mendip District Council spokesperson said: "It was a long meeting, with many licensing matters to consider due to the size and complexity of the event.

"Legislation provides that the Licensing Sub-Committee must make its decision within the period of five working days beginning with the day or last day on which the hearing was held.

"We therefore anticipate an announcement will be made by Wednesday next week, at the latest."

Previously, festival organiser Emily Eavis told fans of the concert plans.

She said: "For those asking for an update on our plans later this year, we have put an application in for a licence for a concert at the farm in September (around the time we'd usually do Pilton Party).

"Of course, we've no idea yet whether we'll able to do that, but we wanted to get the application in to be in with a chance. 

"Unlikely we'll have any news for a couple of months - but will let you know right here when we do."