FLATS in Taunton were evacuated this morning after there was a fire in the restaurant below them.

Fire engines from Taunton and Bridgwater and an operational assurance officer attended the incident on Coal Orchard in Taunton.

A plastic bin of a ground floor restaurant caught fire around 3.30am this morning (June 8).

The fire was out by 4.05am.

"There was a small fire involved in plastic bin of ground floor restaurant kitchen of a five storey building, consisting of commercial and residential dwellings," said a spokesperson for Avon and Somerset Police.

"The fire was extinguished using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel, one safety jet and a thermal image camera.

"The fire was confined to the bin."