AROUND 50 tonnes of hay and 50 tonnes of straw caught fire yesterday (July 7).

Fire crews tackled the blaze in a single storey barn - measuring 20m x 40m - in Misterton at around 7am.

The fire was accidental and caused by self-heating bales.

Crews from Taunton, Bridgwater, Street, Yeovil, Chard, Crewkerne and Martock attended the incident.

"Crews donned breathing apparatus and extinguished the fire using two hosereel jets, two main jets and two compressed air foam jets," said a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue.

"Telehandlers from landowners were also used to remove hay into a field.

"There was 20 per cent structural damage to the barn."