TWO people have died after in a light aircraft crash on farmland near Taunton.

Emergency services were called to the scene of the incident near the village of Buckland St Mary at 10.27am yesterday (Thursday, August 12).

Police have confirmed that a man and a woman on board the plane died.

Formal identification has yet to take place but the next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.

A local source said the two people killed in the crash came from Wellington.

Emergency services all attended the scene.

The fire service are believed to have been first on the scene.

South Western Ambulance Service sent a number of medics, including a hazardous area response team and land ambulance crews.

A police cordon is expected to remain in place into the weekend.

Supt Paul Wigginton said: “This is a tragic incident in which two people have sadly lost their lives.

“It’s too early to give any further details about the victims but we are making sure the next of kin have all the support they need at this distressing time.

“The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) was informed yesterday and deployed a team of investigators.

“We’ve been working very closely with our colleagues from the other emergency services at the scene to make the area safe and ensure the investigation can proceed.

“A cordon remains in place and we’d respectfully ask people not to attend the scene while enquiries continue.”

A spokesperson for The Air Accidents Investigation Branch said yesterday (Thursday) it had sent a team to investigate.

They added: "This morning (Thursday), the AAIB was notified of an accident involving an aircraft which occurred south of Taunton.

"An investigation has been launched and a team of inspectors are on site examining the aircraft, accident site and making enquiries."

A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said fire crews were the first on the scene of the incident at 10.27am near Buckland St Mary.

A South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (SWASFT) spokesperson said: “We were called on Thursday at 10.31am about a serious incident involving a light aircraft in a field near Buckland St Mary.

"We sent various colleagues to attend the incident including hazardous area response team paramedics and land ambulance crews.

"Our response was also supported by Avon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service, and Avon and Somerset Police.”