FIREFIGHTERS were called to an accidental fire that destroyed a static caravan in Glastonbury in the early hours of Friday morning. 

Fire crews from Glastonbury, Street and Wells were called at around 12:30am on July 1, where they extinguished the fire engulfing the destroyed caravan.

The Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service incident report said: “Fire control mobilised three fire appliances to reports of a static caravan fire. 

“Upon arrival, crews confirmed one static caravan to be almost burnt out. 

“Crews confirmed all persons were accounted for and set to work to fully extinguish the fire using scotty backpcks and drag forks. 

“The caravan was completely destroyed by fire and the cause was accidental.”

The fire service attends 973 house fires a year on average.

Victims of house fires should raise the alarm, get everyone out of the home without attempting to investigate the fire, stay in a safe place away from the property and not re-enter it, and call 999. 

The biggest fire risks in the home are cooking, electricals, faulty household appliances, smoking, and candles.