EIGHT fire engines initially responded to a 999 call in Taunton this lunchtime (Wednesday, August 3).

Three were turned back from the reported fire in Greenway Avenue.

A local source said they believed a fire was caused by a candle, but full details are not yet available.

The source also said an ambulance was at the scene.

A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the call was received at 1.42pm and crews are currently still at the scene.

They added that four breathing apparatus are in use, along with one hose reel jet, two main jets and a safety jet.

The spokesperson now says a woman was rescued from a first floor window.

Meanwhile, Jerri Rosheen Bosley has taken to social media to say the fire broke out in her home.

She is being taken to hospital and is asking neighbours to look out for her kitten, which escaped through a window.

She said: "It's me who's had the fire in Greenway Avenue.

"Please can you look out for my ten week old kitten with a blue collar with a bell.

"He got out the window.

"If you find him please keep hold of him for me.

"I'm just going to hospital now."