ITEMS left on a kitchen hob caused a fire at a home in Williton, damaging the room and causing the property to become heavily smoke logged.

Firefighters from Minehead and Nether Stowey were called to the address at 5.08pm on Friday, October 14.

The crews tackled the fire using breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet, an attack jet, and a thermal imaging camera, plus some other small tools. 

The property's residents had already moved to safety by the time the fire service arrived. 

A Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Crews were quickly mobilised to the scene and reported the property was heavily smoke logged, but all persons were free and clear of the property.

“The fire was caused by items being left on a kitchen hob. 

“Crews used four breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, one attack jet, one thermal imaging camera, and small tools to extinguish the fire. 

“The kitchen and appliances were 30 per cent fire damaged and 60 per cent smoke damaged. The fire is believed to be accidental.”

The fire service has published advice on what to do if a fire breaks out in the home

“Acting quickly can save your life,” says the service.

“Prepare now so you, and everyone in your home knows what to do.”

In the event of a fire, people should raise the alarm, get everyone out of the home, and then call 999 for the fire service.

Once they have left their home, people affected by a fire should find somewhere safe to wait and never go back into the building.

The advice says: “If there is someone still inside, wait for the fire and rescue service to arrive.

“You can tell them about the person and they will be able to find them quicker than you. 

“If you go back into the building, you will slow down the firefighters’ efforts to rescue anyone else missing, as well as putting your own life in danger.”

For more information, visit