THE cause of the massive fire at the Taunton Recycling Centre was "accidental", Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) has concluded.

The blaze at the site on the Crown Industrial Estate, in Priorswood, could be seen from across town and from the M5 when it took hold in the early hours of Tuesday last week (October 3).

At its peak around 60 firefighters were working flat out to contain it.

Fortunately no one was injured, but the facility has remained closed ever since, while small fires are still burning.

It is unknown when it will reopen.

A DSFRS spokesperson said: “This was a fire involving domestic recycling material including large amounts of plastic, cardboard and associated machinery.

“The fire was contained to one building, but the contents were completely destroyed by fire and 80 per cent of the building was damaged by fire. It was an accidental cause.

“At its height, eight fire appliances, two aerial ladder platforms, an incident command unit, high volume pump and water bowser were in attendance.

“Crews used two aerial ladder platforms, water jets, breathing apparatus and a high-volume pump to take water from a nearby canal.”

The site, which is owned and managed by Biffa on behalf of Somerset Council, remains closed to the public, with waste and recycling centres in Wellington and Bridgwater opening to the public seven days a week.

The cost of repairing the premises will fall on Biffa rather than the local taxpayer.