A 97-year-old man from Taunton was left stranded for hours outside his council home on Churchill Way.

Mr Scott explained that Somerset Council had recently electrified the door on his property to make it easier to open.

However, when the power went out, he was left unable to open the door, meaning he couldn't get inside for hours.

Mr Scott went on to state that the experience has left him worrying that he could be trapped inside his home at any time.

"I'm scared that if I do manage to open the door, I won't be able to get back in again," he said.

"I'm more or less isolated."

He also said that his neighbours residing in council owned properties are equally as concerned by the issue.

Somerset Council have since addressed the situation, and pledged to resolve the issue by working to provide battery backup for the electrified doors.

Cllr Federica Smith-Roberts, Lead Member for Communities, Housing and Culture, said: “The housing service is grateful to tenants who have reported problems with the weight of their new fire doors. 

"The council is carrying out work to resolve problems affecting seven blocks where electronic assistance and battery backup may be required.

"It is currently working with contractors to ensure further customers do not experience problems and will be contacting tenants with more information.

"In the meantime tenants can log issues through the normal repair reporting number 0300 123 2224, and those in sheltered housing can also talk to their Housing Support Officer.”