A FIRE which ripped through a popular bar in Somerset was caused accidentally, according to the fire service.

The blaze broke out at the Tramways in Wells at around 2:40pm on Tuesday, April 30.

Smoke could be seen pouring from the roof, and Tucker Street was closed by police for hours whilst several fire engines combined forces to extinguish the fire.

A police officer told the County Gazette that the blaze had been put out at around 5.45pm.

On Facebook, a spokesperson for the Tramways stated the venue will be temporarily closed a result of the incident.

"It's with sadness that due to a intensive fire the Tramways will be closed temporarily," they wrote.

"We will keep the members informed of any updates.

"We hope to be trading again as soon as we possibly can and we thank everyone for their kind messages

"We will be trying to contact everyone that has a private function booked. If you need to contact us please feel free to contact us through Facebook."

Devon and Somerset Fire have since confirmed the cause of the fire was recorded as accidental.

A spokesperson added: "We received repeated calls about smoke issuing from the windows of a single-storey building public house on West Street in Wells.

"We sent three pumps.

"Our crews began work at 2.38pm using four Breathing Apparatus sets and a hose reel jet.

"The fire was believed to have started at the back of the building in the bar area.

"At 14:47 the fire had spread into the roof, we then called for a fourth pump.

"At 15:48pm crews were making steady progress, and the crews were cooling off hot spots."

An eyewitness who was shopping in Halfords as the incident occurred said: "People watching on had to lift the red tape for me to get out of Halfords, it was very scary.

"I saw the smoke on my way in and it didn't look too severe.

"Then when I came out of Halfords the smoke was so bad."

County Gazette editor Tim Lethaby, who witnessed the fire, said: "It didn’t look great, you could see smoke coming from the building.

"There were multiple fire engines and police cars there, with more still arriving 45 minutes later.

"I feel so sorry for the people who run it."