BURNT sausages were not the only cinders left over from a barbecue in Wellington on Sunday.

Just hours after enjoying a barbecue lunch with his wife and children, deputy head of Wellington School, Stephen Page discovered his shed was ablaze at the bottom of his garden.

Mr Page, a chemistry graduate, told the County Gazette: "I put the pieces of charcoal back into the shed by hand, so they seemed cool. But, within hours, the shed was destroyed, melting a lawnmower and leaving our garden furniture ruined."

Although at first Mr Page thought he could extinguish the fire, the flames took hold rapidly and he had to call the fire brigade.