The events that led up to the death of a Lizard artist found at the foot of cliffs near Kynance Cove a year ago were revealed at an inquest yesterday. Rebecca Dorothy Croxford, 30, of Mill Cottage, Ruan Minor, was reported missing on October 9, 2001. She was suffering from mental illness and had become distressed after being arrested for harassment. At the time, a full-scale police and coastguard search was launched. Her vehicle was found on the cliffs at Pentreath, yet her body was not discovered until July 2003. Packet news editor Stephen Ivall received an anonymous fax from an individual who said he had been walking along the coastal path and had come across remains at Soapy Cove, near Kynance Cove. At the inquest, coroner Emma Carlyon said this man was later traced by police and named as Michael Albert Tuck. In a statement, Mr Tuck said he had been forced on to rocks because the tide was coming in and, as he was scrambling up, saw what he thought were bones. He also found the remains of clothing and footwear. Mr Tuck was "extremely shocked" by the incident and in his turmoil did not know who to turn to. The skeleton was at the foot of 250 foot high cliffs and Mr Tuck's first impression was that the person had fallen. A pathologist's report later revealed there was a hole in the woman's skull. On his return to Saltash, Mr Tuck wrote a letter detailing the existence and whereabouts of the remains and faxed it to the Packet offices in Falmouth from a friend's fax machine. He later said he wanted to remain anonymous to avoid harassment. On receiving the fax, Mr Ivall immediately contacted police headquarters and a search was launched in the Soapy Cove area. The inquest heard how 30-year-old Rebecca - or "Becky" as she was known - had suffered from mental health problems for many years. She was diagnosed as psychotic and schizophrenic and had been admitted to Trengweath. Her father, Robert Croxford, a photographer, described how she sometimes behaved like she was acting out fantasies and on one occasion had violently attacked him and he had had to call the police. Becky took prescribed drugs to control her illness, but had trouble attending doctor's appointments and often went for spells when she took no medication at all. Becky had left Mullion School with eight GCSEs and went to art college in London. She came back to Cornwall in 1990 to set up a workshop. She had also helped run a gallery in St Ives. She began a relationship with a childhood friend, Justin Patrick Walsh-Newton, and she would visit him at his house in France, before the pair came back and lived in a house next to her parents in Mullion. They later moved to Portugal, but once again returned to Mullion. However, the couple split up and Becky became depressed. She started to become obsessed with Justin's brother, Dominic, and would visit his house unannounced, on one occasion stripping off naked and lying on his bed. She was arrested three times for harassing Dominic and was sent to prison, being detained in a hospital wing. The officer who arrested Becky said she "felt like doing something silly" and was concerned she may harm herself. Justin moved to London, but later bumped into Becky in Falmouth and the couple got back together. Becky's mental state had improved and Justin would visit her at weekends at her cottage, but they split up again in 2001 when Becky became difficult to live with. In October of that year, Justin heard that Becky had gone missing, but said it did not surprise him. He said she enjoyed cliff walking and would often go off for days on end and live in the woods. She was described at the inquest as very resourceful. Becky had been reported missing by her father, Robert, who was increasingly concerned for his daughter's welfare. At the inquest he and his wife Jenny both criticised the mental health authorities for not chasing up patients who failed to attend appointments or collect their prescriptions. Becky had been arrested and was awaiting a court appearance. She was also being pursued by the benefits agency and the Inland Revenue and had become distressed when the events of September 11 coincided with her birthday. A search of her cottage uncovered up to 50 empty boxes of painkillers, some empty wine bottles and vomit. However, Mr Croxford said she had been stock piling the drugs because she had been suffering headaches and wanted to use the boxes for artwork. When asked why the police had not discovered Becky's body, Detective Constable Gareth Critchley said that the area where Becky was found could not be seen from the cliff top with the naked eye.