TRURO City's late sprint away from the re-election places in the Carlsberg SWL gathered pace at Treyew on Good Friday when they hammered fellow foot-of-the-table strugglers Newquay 5-0.

In fact, such was their domination, City could and should have won by an even bigger margin.

With just a handful of games to go City are at last beginning to put a little bit of distance between themselves and those at the foot of the table whilst at the same time are beginning to close the gap on the cluster of clubs above them.

Nine points from their last three games is a superb tally and after failing to win a home game all season, City have now won two on the trot.

City have obviously heeded the advice of managers Robbie Stephens and Less Gilbert and close down and compete much more rigorously for every ball and as such Newquay were rarely a threat throughout the 90 minutes.

The opening goal came after 15 minutes, but it had more to do with the Peppermints than City. Ben Goldring whipped over a corner to the near post where Justin Andrew challenged the 'keeper only for the Newquay incumbent Dave Wilton to knock the ball into the net with his elbow.

A second quickly followed when a well-placed through ball by Rusty Rowson proved the ideal pass for Paul Cox whose pace took him clear of the defence before shooting under the body of the 'keeper.

City had the game well under control by half-time after snapping up a third goal in the 39th minute when Newquay failed to clear a corner and Dean Harris gave the 'keeper no chance with a thumping shot from the edge of the box.

The second half was a mirror image of the first with City in control, but unable to finish many of the chances they created.

Andy Butcher had a relatively quiet afternoon and the only shot he might have had to face was skied high over the bar.

Dominating all areas City scored a fourth goal in the 51st minute when Cox pounced on a back pass to give the 'keeper no chance. It was from another backpass that Cox repeated his earlier feat with what should have been his hat-trick goal, but surprisingly it was ruled out for offside.

A fifth goal did come for City with ten minutes to go when Richard Young got down the flank and cut in before curling a superb shot round Wilton for a great finish.

Manager Robbie Stephens, welcoming the three points, said his side did what was asked of them: "Before we played Falmouth I told them we needed nine points from our next three games and that's what they've gone out and done. I'm delighted about that because we are now showing the sort of form we are capable of.

"We are now in a position to make sure we pull away from the bottom of the table and the remaining games we have to play are all very winnable."

Tonight City are home to Torpoint Athletic, kick-off 7.30 pm and on Sunday they entertain Torpoint Athletic.

City: A Butcher, G Butcher, M Cain, D Harris, C Davey, B Goldring, P Wolstencroft, C Wolstencroft, P Cox, J Andrew, R Rowson. Subs: M Salmon, L Wort, R Young.