A CREWKERNE man appeared in court on Monday charged with killing football club manager Sean Cosgrove.

Christopher Rideout, 23, was charged with manslaughter and granted bail by Taunton Magistrates on the condition he stays at an address outside Somerset.

Father-of-one Mr Cosgrove, 33, of South Street, Crewkerne, died after an alleged incident in the town centre in the early hours of Saturday morning. A post-mortem confirmed that the cause of death was of suspicious origin.

Distraught friends gathered over the Bank Holiday weekend to lay flowers in the market square and pay tribute to Mr Cosgrove.

The former player, and current manager of Hinton St George Football Club, worked at Combe Farm Dairy and had a young son, Jack.

Mr Cosgrove's mother Glynis, father Paddy, brother Peter and sister Rosanne are being comforted by members of the family who have travelled over from Ireland.

Hinton St George FC secretary Nick Sugar praised the work Mr Cosgrove had done since taking over as manger at the start of the season.

He said he brought in a number of new players and had taken the team to the top of their respective league and through to two cup finals.

Mr Sugar said: "He was definitely the heart and sole and of that team."

Despite the shock at Mr Cosgrove's death, the club had decided to play on for the rest of the season following an emergency meeting on Sunday.

Mr Sugar added the club was considering a memorial match for their popular team-mate, but needed to speak with Mr Cosgrove's family before any plans were made.

Childhood friend and manger of Crewkerne Town FC, Mark Crabb, said it was a great loss to the community. He said football was Mr Cosgrove's passion and added he was a huge Manchester United fan.

Mr Crabb said: "He's always played football ever since he was a toddler and started playing in Crewkerne on a Sunday morning with a team from the Royal Oak pub which he helped to run.

"He was a happy go lucky lad who liked to go out with the lads on the weekend.

"It still hasn't really sunk in - it will be a great loss to the community."

The man accused of Mr Cosgrove's death is due to appear in court again on Monday (April 19).