Falmouth 57 pts Old Dunstonians 7pts

Falmouth entertained long-time friends Old Dunstonians on Saturday on their traditional Easter tour of Cornwall.

A dry, firm ground with a little breeze and a large crowd inspired the players to provide a spectacle of open running rugby.

Early pressure from the ODs saw Falmouth concede a number of penalties, before a forward drive saw ODs score a try, which was converted by guest player Keith Biggins.

Further pressure was relieved by Falmouth No 8 Ashley Lawton with a strong run out of defence and a scrum on the OD's 22 saw Lawton pick up from the base of the scrum and chose the blind side before passing to Danny Trick who went over for Falmouth. Jonathan Biggins, in his unaccustomed role of place kicker, converted to tie the scores.

Falmouth were now beginning to dominate the game and from a turn over ball, scrum half Tom Laity made good ground before passing to wing Matt Sharp who ran in to score from 30 metres.

A move starting in the Falmouth 22 saw the ball pass through several pairs of hands before arriving at Stuart Slater, who outpaced the defence to run in from 50 metres to score under the posts. This try was converted by Lawton.

Another move from the Falmouth 22 saw Paul Wheeler scythe through the OD's mid field before off loading to Andrew Lancaster who scored another try, converted by Jonathan Biggins.

The ODs were having difficulty containing Tom Laity, the Falmouth scrum half, and he made several promising breaks from set pieces and from one ruck, he made ground before passing to Lawton who scored another try.

Half time saw Falmouth leading by 31pts to 7pts.

Falmouth continued their pressure on the OD's defence after the break and good work by youngster, James Cremin and Andy Palmer saw replacement Chris Snell going over in the corner.

Further pressure by the Falmouth forwards saw Toby Colvin-Stunel score his first try for Falmouth, converted by Jonathan Biggins.

Broken play saw Ashley Lawton sprint away and outpace the cover, to score his second try, converted by Jonathan Biggins and the final try was created following a breakaway by man of the match, Jonathan Biggins who offloaded to James Cremin who scored, Biggins kicking the conversion.

Biggins, who was captain for the day, led his team with authority in a display of open running rugby, which entertained the crowd and he took over as place kicker, in the absence of usual kickers, with a 100 per cent success rate.

Credit to Old Dunstonians who gave 100 per cent effort, had several promising moves and played the game in an excellent spirit. The club looks forward to their return next Easter.

Next Saturday, April 17, Falmouth 1st XV play their final Cornwall and Devon league game at home to Sidmouth, 3 pm kick off. Sidmouth have had a good season following their promotion from the Devon leagues last season and will finish just outside the promotion places.

On the same day, the Falmouth 'A' XV play Hayle IIs at Hayle, 2.45pm kick off, in a Cornwall Merit Table fixture. Players to meet at the Recreation Ground at 1 pm.

On Wednesday, April 21, Falmouth 1st XV entertain the Cornwall Clubs XV at the Recreation Ground with a 7 pm kick off.