Falmouth Town 0

Porthleven 1

Falmouth Town lost a dour Good Friday battle against local rivals Porthleven, but as the scoreline suggests, there were few chances - one, in fact, and Porthleven took it to claim all three Carlsberg SWL points in their quest to finish third.

With Truro City and Penryn Athletic both winning, the three points would have been crucial in Falmouth's task to finish as high up the table as possible.

With outside players available, Steve Massey only brought in one - Liam Heenan - but with Carlton Farnham back from illness and Steve Winnan (back in the country after a spell working in Cyprus) and fit after a reserve team game, it was the same team that defeated Newquay the previous week.

The players that made way were John Burrows, the injured Damian Stevens and Wayne Brown who was relegated to the bench. That meant another place in the starting line-up for young Matt Pellow.

On a beautiful sunny afternoon, the hot weather had made the pitch hard and it was Porthleven who nearly capitalised on the hard surface with less than a minute on the clock. A hopeful shot looked easy for Duncan Ayres but he let the ball bounce in front of him and the ball took such a big bounce that the 'keeper had to tip the ball over the bar to avoid being left with egg on his face.

He made amends with the dangerous looking corner when he made an excellent catch under pressure.

Falmouth's first chance came on eight minutes. Carlton Farnham's pressure forced Matt Laity to concede a corner. Jon Ludlam took the kick and found Jake Ash six yards out, but under pressure, he headed over.

Porthleven had a chance on 14 minutes but Lee Doncaster's effort was off target. A minute later, Matt Pellow hit a shot on the turn and he was off target. Pellow again had a go at goal two minutes later when the ball was laid off to him and he let fly from the edge of the box and was unlucky.

With Falmouth dominating the early stages they were unfortunate not to have taken the lead with all the chances they had created. Liam Heenan had the next on 18 minutes. He met Ludlam's cross and beat Laity to the ball, but he headed over.

On 35 minutes, Steve Winnan played a good ball out to Heenan on the left. He beat Jamie Ahearn and shot low, forcing Keith to palm the ball around the post.

Just before the half-time interval, Lee Ireland, who all through the game seemed to find himself in acres of space and nearly always unmarked, picked up the ball on the edge of the box from a corner, but his shot on the turn was always going away from goal and didn't trouble Ayres.

Porthleven made a double substitution at half time; Andy Sargent and James Benallick replaced Jordan Jennes and Simon Webb.

Farnham was fouled on the edge of the box in the 53rd minute and before taking the free kick, Town made a substitution with Matt Ellis replacing Pellow. Jake Ash took the free kick and the ball bobbled along the goal before harmlessly rolling out for a goal kick.

After 65 minutes Wayne Brown was introduced, replacing Steve Winnan. Six minutes later, Porthleven made their third change - 16-year-old Danny Stidwell replacing Doncaster.

Falmouth were still trying to create chances but failed to beat the Port defence and Andy Sargent saw his shot deflected wide before Porthleven took the lead. On 74 minutes, a corner was floated to the far post where Ahern was in space and completely unmarked and he scored with a bullet header past the helpless Town defence.

The home side pressed for an equaliser and were almost caught out as young Stidwell found himself in space and he shot low but Ayres was equal to it, getting down low at his near post to snuff out the threat.

With time running out, Town again attacked with promise. A cross was put to the far post where Ash outjumped the defence but his header bounced across goal and came to nothing.

An injury time corner saw everyone bar Martin Day in the Porthleven penalty area. The ball eventually fell to Huw Morgan who cleared leaving Stidwell and Day chasing the loose ball with the Town team frantically chasing them. Fortunately, the ball bounced kindly for Day who cleared the threat of the goal-hungry striker and in clearing the ball, the referee brought an end to a dour Good Friday game that won't live long in the memory of the supporters.

A routine performance from Porthleven and disappointment for Town who should have earned at least a draw for their efforts.

Falmouth Town have two games remaining. On Saturday they travel to Callington before wrapping up the season at home to St Austell on Wednesday (7.30pm)

Town: D. Ayres, S. Winnan (W. Brown), M. Day, R. Pope, J. Ash, L. Quinn, C. Farnham, A. Weston, M. Pellow (M. Ellis), J. Ludlam, L. Heenan

Subs (unused): L. Patchett, L. Beckett, B. Webb

Porthleven: R. Keith - H. Morgan, M. Laity, J. Ahearn, A. Mills, L. Ireland, S. Webb (J. Benallick), R. Powell, J. Jennes (A. Sargent), L. Doncaster (D. Stidwell), K. Causley

Subs (unused): D. Bray, G. Pascoe