IT was only a dream after all, but Porthleven would probably rather not have had such a rude awakening from their visitors in Saturday's preliminary round of the FA Cup.

The result looks conclusive and it certainly was, but the home side were not helped by some indifferent defending.

Between the two boxes Porthleven competed quite well against a side who play three Leagues above them, but neat football in the middle of the park was not matched by where it matters most - in each of the penalty areas.

The Fishermen never really posed a threat in front of goal against a solid defence while at the other end Town carved open chances through the direct route over the top. Very often the play pulled defenders out and then Port found themselves in trouble as the visitors exposed the gaps.

Porthleven also needed some "big games" from some of their more established players, but sadly none of them could stamp their authority on the game.

A cracking start saw Porthleven open up the visitors' defence in the first 30 seconds, but the attack broke down and Port had to thank a perfectly-timed tackle by Dave Sweet to prevent Martin Shepherd from scoring from the resultant speedy breakaway.

Porthleven's best spell came in the opening minutes and a swift move saw Nigel Thwaites have a shot saved by Mark Ormerod.

Dorchester took the lead in the eighth minute from a free kick when Justin Keeler cracked his shot past the wall and the despairing dive of Gary Penhaligon.

Two minutes later Richard Triggs prevented a second goal when he deflected a shot for a corner from Keeler following a cross into the heart of Port's defence by Matt Lennon.

However, Port were not let off the hook and when Penhaligon failed to hold on to Matt Holmes' corner, and Phil Andrews drilled his shot through a crowd of players from eight yards.

The Fishermen tried to get back into the game, but there was little joy for Luke Hodge who had little good ball to work with up front. He might have posed an aerial threat, but Alan Roberts, one of the main arterial routes to goal, had one of those days he would wish to forget with his crossing into the box very disappointing.

Jamie Morrison-Hill had to be substituted by Johnny Herbert in the 32nd minute and six minutes later Lennon was replaced by Marcus Oldbury after a stinging tackle by Nick Medlyn.

It was virtually all over by half-time when Dorchester snapped up a third goal in the 44th minute. It came via another long ball out of defence, but there appeared to be little danger as Thwaites tracked back with lone forward Holmes. However, Thwaites, somehow, failed to make his tackle and Holmes, not believing his luck, drilled his shot past Penhaligon at the near post.

The Fishermen made a concerted effort at the start of the second half with Thwaites and Hodge both having good efforts, but in the 50th minute Dorchester made the result academic when they scored a fourth goal Matt Hann.

The game became scrappy and 13 minutes from time Darren Holsey missed a high ball which let in Keeler, but Sweet came to his rescue with a fine tackle.

The Fishermen created one or two half-chances, but inevitably the 'keeper was never forced to make a save as the shots sailed high and wide.

Hann should have scored with two minutes to go, but took an age to make up his mind and the chance was lost, but with injury time looming Town rubbed it in with a fifth goal when Shepherd snapped up a loose ball after Penhaligon failed to hold on to the ball.

On Saturday Porthleven are away to Truro City, 3 pm.

Porthleven: G Penhaligon, J Morrison-Hill, A Roberts, D Sweet, R Triggs, C Swiggs, N Thwaites, J Miller, L Hodge, A Bleasedale, N Medlyn. Subs: M Shiels, J Herbert, D Holsey.

Dorchester: M Ormerod, M Germayne, S Ratcliffe, M Lennon, M White, A Harris, M Holmes, J Brown, M Shepherd, P Andrews, J Keeler. Subs: Matt Groves, Marcus Oldbury, O Chervett, M Hann, D Helm.